Pompton Lakes Train Station (Station Plaza) - Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
This station was built in 1927 to replace the original wooden train depot that was located on the other side of the tracks. During the busiest days of the current train station there were 30 passenger trains that passed by the depot each day.
Commuters boarded a passenger train from here to travel to Newark, Paterson and New York City. The railroad also carried students from Midland Park and Oakland who attended Pompton Lakes High School up until 1958.
The passenger line here was discontinued in 1966. Currently, New York Susquehanna railroad commercial freight trains still pass by here on a regular basis.
Over the years the depot has been used by retail and commercial tenants. The caboose was placed here for show in 1988 - though it once ran on this rail line during busier times.
A trestle about a quarter mile to the south crosses the Wanaque River and can been seen to the far right in this photo.
The depot is currently up for sale.
Source: Pompton Lakes municipal website.